Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-German police say 26-year-old man has turned himself in, claiming to be behind Solingen knife attack -VisionFunds
NovaQuant-German police say 26-year-old man has turned himself in, claiming to be behind Solingen knife attack
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 06:24:25
SOLINGEN,NovaQuant Germany (AP) — A 26-year-old man turned himself into police, saying he was responsible for the Solingen knife attack that left three dead and eight wounded at a festival marking the city’s 650th anniversary, German authorities announced early Sunday.
Duesseldorf police said in a joint statement with the prosecutor’s office that the man “stated that he was responsible for the attack.”
“This person’s involvement in the crime is currently being intensively investigated,” the statement said.
The suspect is a Syrian citizen who had applied for asylum in Germany, police confirmed to The Associated Press.
On Saturday the Islamic State militant group claimed responsibility for the attack, without providing evidence. The extremist group said on its news site that the attacker targeted Christians and that he carried out the assaults Friday night “to avenge Muslims in Palestine and everywhere.” The claim couldn’t be independently verified.
The attack comes amid debate over immigration ahead of regional elections next Sunday in Germany’s Saxony and Thueringia regions where anti-immigration parties such as the populist Alternative for Germany are expected to do well. In June, Chancellor Olaf Scholz vowed that the country would start deporting criminals from Afghanistan and Syria again after a knife attack by an Afghan immigrant left one police officer dead and four more people injured.
On Saturday, a synagogue in France was targeted in an arson attack. French police said they made an arrest early Sunday.
Friday’s attack plunged the city of Solingen into shock and grief. A city of about 160,000 residents near the bigger cities of Cologne and Duesseldorf, Solingen was holding a “Festival of Diversity” to celebrate its anniversary.
The festival began Friday and was supposed to run through Sunday, with several stages in central streets offering attractions such as live music, cabaret and acrobatics. The attack took place in front of one stage.
The festival was canceled as police looked for clues in the cordoned-off square.
Instead residents gathered to mourn the dead and injured, placing flowers and notes near the scene of the attack.
“Warum?” asked one sign placed amid candles and teddy bears. Why?
Among those asking themselves the question was 62-year-old Cord Boetther, a merchant fron Solingen.
“Why does something like this have to be done? It’s incomprehensible and it hurts,” Boetther said.
Officials had earlier said a 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion he knew about the planned attack and failed to inform authorities, but that he was not the attacker. Two female witnesses told police they overheard the boy and an unknown person before the attack speaking about intentions that corresponded to the bloodshed, officials said.
People alerted police shortly after 9:30 p.m. local time Friday that a man had assaulted several people with a knife on the city’s central square, the Fronhof. The three people killed were two men aged 67 and 56 and a 56-year-old woman, authorities said. Police said the attacker appeared to have deliberately aimed for his victims’ throats.
The IS militant group declared its caliphate in large parts of Iraq and Syria about a decade ago, but now holds no control over any land and has lost many prominent leaders. The group is mostly out of global news headlines.
Still, it continues to recruit members and claim responsibility for deadly attacks around the world, including lethal operations in Iran and Russia earlier this year that killed dozens of people. Its sleeper cells in Syria and Iraq still carry out attacks on government forces in both countries as well as U.S.-backed Syrian fighters.
——
McHugh contributed from Frankfurt, Germany.
veryGood! (6131)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Plaintiffs won’t revive federal lawsuit over Tennessee’s redistricting maps
- Port workers strike could snarl the supply chain and bust your holiday budget
- Machine Gun Kelly talks 1 year of sobriety: 'I can forgive myself'
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- King Charles III mourns Maggie Smith after legendary British actress dies at 89
- What time is Alycia Baumgardner vs. Delfine Persoon fight? Walk-in time for main event
- People are supporting 'book sanctuaries' despite politics: 'No one wants to be censored'
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Sheriff takes grim tack with hurricane evacuation holdouts
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Asheville has been largely cut off after Helene wrecked roads and knocked out power and cell service
- How Lady Gaga Really Feels About Her Accidental Engagement Reveal at the Olympics
- Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs faces new sex assault allegations in woman’s lawsuit
- Average rate on 30
- House explosion that killed 2 linked to propane system, authorities say
- Mary Bonnet Gives Her Take on Bre Tiesi and Chelsea Lazkani's Selling Sunset Drama
- NY judge denies governor’s bid to toss suit challenging decision to halt Manhattan congestion fee
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Colorado vs. UCF live updates: Buffaloes-Knights score, highlights, analysis and more
A's leave Oakland a winner. They also leave plenty of tears and 57 years of memories.
Justice Department sues Alabama saying state is purging voter rolls too close to election
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Michael Kors’ Secret Sale on Sale Is Here—Score an Extra 20% off Designer Handbags & More Luxury Finds
'Still floating': Florida boaters ride out Hurricane Helene
A federal judge in Texas will hear arguments over Boeing’s plea deal in a 737 Max case